Ground control to Major Frost?
- Broadcasted: 1700 hours, 20 July 1969 – 0300 hours, 21 July 1969 (ITV);
- Presenter: David Frost;
- Showbiz guests: Sammy Davis Junior, Cliff Richard, Lulu, Englebert Humperdinck, Peter Cook, Mary Hopkin, Hattie Jacques, Eric Sykes;
- Interviewed guests: Ray Bradbury (walked out before interview), A.J.P. Taylor, Dame Sybil Thorndike, Desmond Morris;
- Produced by: London Weekend Television;
- Further information: original VT long deleted.
Just over 45 years ago, rolling news meant correctly folding today’s copy of The Daily Telegraph. The thought of broadcasting for 10 continuous hours was unheard of in 1969. Television used to finish an hour or so after the public houses did. Sky News wouldn’t surface till twenty years later, and Rupert Murdoch was only months away from taking over The Sun from the Daily Mirror‘s owners. Continue reading “A 1969 Space Oddity: David Frost’s Moon Party”