A gory picture of Sheffield before, during and after a nuclear attack
- Starring: Reece Dinsdale, Karen Meagher;
- Co-featuring: David Brierley, Rita May, Jane Hazlegrove;
- Narrator: Paul Vaughan;
- Companies: BBC/Nine Network/Western-World Television Inc.;
- Transmitted: Sunday, 23 September 1984, BBC Two, 2130 hours;
- Writer: Barry Hines;
- Director and Producer: Mick Jackson.
WARNING: this piece may contain spoilers.
Britain in 1984 was hardly the best year for one’s formative years, mine included. Fellow children of the 1980s were affected by the rigours of high unemployment. There was also the Miners’ Strike; service cuts thanks to the introduction of rate capping. A certain Yorkshire group was kept off the top spot by a Liverpudlian group singing about the threat of nuclear war. The promotional video, produced by Godley and Creme, saw lookalikes of Ronald Reagan and Konstantin Chernenko slugging it out in a pit. Continue reading “Scare on a Shoestring: A Look at Threads” →