How 63 drivers responded to the Ray Mill fire in Stalybridge
Last Saturday night/Sunday morning, a huge fire engulfed Ray Mill on Tame Street, Stalybridge. Built in 1907 it was seen for miles around from many a passing train, numerous 343 buses, and local hills. Like its long demolished sister mill, Victor Mill, it was one of Courtauld’s Stalybridge cotton mills.
Before Saturday night, Ray Mill was home to a number of small businesses. There was also an highly acclaimed dance studio. It was also one of the last mills in Stalybridge to cease cotton spinning. Previous occupants had included the double glazing company Warmshield.