Details of Christmas and New Year’s Day bus services in Tameside and surrounding area for 2020 – 2021
Due to that COVID-19 thingy, we have left this year’s digest a bit later than usual on East of the M60. This was to allow for any recent changes to the Tier system and to discourage non-essential travel. (If you need to go shopping or take exercise in the yuletide season, please use your buses, trams and trains responsibly).
For the yuletide period, here’s what we are about to receive.
Friday 25 December 2020, Christmas Day
No services. Please note that the only Christmas Day bus service that will be operating in Greater Manchester will be the 43 service. This will be operate once hourly from Piccadilly Gardens to Manchester Airport at five past the hour from 0805 to 1905, and 0905 to 2005 in the opposite direction.
Saturday 26 December 2020, Boxing Day
Limited services along trunk routes. Only Stagecoach Manchester and First Greater Manchester will be running buses on some routes in and around the Tameside area.
For the first time in over 20 years, Gee Cross has now regained Boxing Day journeys on its Manchester routes. This is a knock-on effect of September 2020’s changes which saw the 204, 206 and 207 routes being replaced by the 202 route. Compared with last year’s Boxing Day timetable, the last Boxing Day journey to Hattersley [201 route] will depart at 2101.
- 201: Hattersley – Hyde – Denton – Gorton – Belle Vue – Ardwick – Piccadilly: first journey at 0727 then every 20 minutes till 1727 and hourly from 1757 to 1957;
- 201: Piccadilly – Ardwick – Belle Vue – Gorton – Denton – Hyde – Hattersley: first journey at 0831 then every 20 minutes till 1811 and every half hour from 1831 till 2001. Additional journey at 2101;
- 202: Gee Cross – Hyde – Haughton Green – Denton – Gorton – Belle Vue – Ardwick – Piccadilly: first journey at 0733, then every half hour from 0833 till 2003;
- 202: Piccadilly – Ardwick – Belle Vue – Gorton – Denton – Haughton Green: first journey at 0816 then every half hour till 1946 with a further journey at 2046;
- 216: Ashton-under-Lyne – Audenshaw – Droylsden – Ashton New Road – Clayton – Ancoats – Piccadilly: first journey at 0840 then every 20 minutes till 1800, and every half hour from 1820 to 2020;
- 216: Piccadilly – Clayton – Ashton New Road – Droylsden – Audenshaw – Ashton-under-Lyne: first journey at 0840 then every 20 minutes till 1840, and every half hour from 1900 to 2100;
- 219: Ashton-under-Lyne – Audenshaw – Ashton Old Road – Openshaw – Piccadilly: first journey at 0730 with further journeys at 0750, 0810, 0830 and 0850, then every 15 minutes from 0905 till 1650. Then every 20 minutes from 1710 to 2030;
- 219: Piccadilly – Openshaw – Ashton Old Road – Audenshaw – Ashton-under-Lyne: first journey at 0810 with further journeys at 0830, 0850, 0910, 0930, and 0950, then every 15 minutes from 1005 till 1735. Later journeys every 20 minutes from 1750 to 2110;
- 330: Ashton-under-Lyne – Dukinfield – Hyde – Woodley – Stockport: first journey at 0910 then every hour till 1710;
- 330: Stockport – Woodley – Hyde – Dukinfield – Ashton-under-Lyne: first journey at 0910 then every hour till 1710.
First Greater Manchester:
Including their V1 and V2 Vantage routes, First Greater Manchester will only be operating six routes in our City Region. In our neck of the woods, which is Tameside, only the 409 where the timetable is as follows:
- 409: Ashton-under-Lyne – Hathershaw – Oldham – Royton – Rochdale: first journey at 0835 then every half hour till 1735. Additional journey from Oldham (dep. 0824) to Rochdale (arr. 0849);
- 409: Rochdale – Royton – Oldham – Hathershaw – Ashton-under-Lyne: first journey at 0835 then every half hour till 1705. Additional journeys from Thornham [Summit] (dep. 0816) to Ashton-under-Lyne (arr. 0848), and Rochdale (dep. 1735) to Oldham (arr. 1802).
Sunday 27 December and Monday 28 December 2020 (Christmas Monday in lieu of Boxing Day)
Normal Sunday and Bank Holiday service.
Tuesday 29 December and Wednesday 30 December 2020
Normal weekday or Saturday service with extra early morning journeys.
Thursday 31 December 2020, New Year’s Eve
As with Christmas Eve services, a normal weekday service or enhanced Saturday service with early finish will apply. Most services will stop running between 6pm and 8pm. Please note that evening journeys on TfGM tendered services like the 41A may finish early or not operate at all.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and Greater Manchester’s Tier 3 status, Stagecoach Greater Manchester will not be running any New Year’s Eve/New Year’s Day special services. (With Tier 3 status, no public houses, bars and restaurants are allowed to open for anything other than off-sales).
Friday 01 January 2021, New Year’s Day
Once again, there will be no services on First Greater Manchester routes. In Tameside, the only New Year’s Day services will be on the 201 and 219 routes.
- 201: Hattersley – Hyde – Denton – Gorton – Belle Vue – Ardwick – Piccadilly: first journey at 0951 then every hour till 1751;
- 201: Piccadilly – Ardwick – Belle Vue – Gorton – Denton – Hyde – Hattersley: first journey at 1050 then every hour till 1750;
- 219: Ashton-under-Lyne – Audenshaw – Ashton Old Road – Openshaw – Piccadilly: first journey at 1020 then every half hour till 1720;
- 219: Piccadilly – Openshaw – Ashton Old Road – Audenshaw – Ashton-under-Lyne: first journey at 1040 then every half hour till 1740.
Saturday 02 January 2021
Normal Saturday services.
Sunday 03 January 2021
Normal Sunday service.
Monday 04 January 2021
Normal weekday services resume.
- First Greater Manchester: 0345 646 0707 (7am – 7pm weekdays, 9am – 5pm weekends and Bank Holidays);
- Stagecoach Manchester: 0161 273 3377 (8am – 5.30pm, weekdays only);
- Stott’s Tours: 0161 624 2772.
If the buses have let you down over the Christmas period, we at East of the M60 recommend the following minicab companies, all of which tested by yours truly after missing many a last bus out of Tameside, Oldham or Saddleworth:
- A1 Private Hire: 0161 343 5050;
- Cavalier Radio Cars: 0161 338 4055;
- First Choice County Cars: 01457 878878;
- Radio Cabs: 0161 330 2090;
- Stamford Radio Cars: 0161 330 3000/0161 339 4411;
- Swift Radio Cars: 0161 303 8137/0161 303 8139;
- Tameside Taxis: 0161 344 5555;
- Village Cars: 0161 628 7000.
Please note that premium rate tariffs may apply during Christmas Eve night times, the whole of Christmas Day and most of Boxing Day. Likewise with New Year’s Eve night time and most of New Year’s Day. These will vary according to operator, whether via their own tariffs or standard Tameside MBC/Oldham MBC tariffs. If you are using Uber or Lyft, be wary of surge pricing – particularly outside bus operating hours.
If you are taking a taxi, please remember to observe social distancing measures by sitting in the back seat and wearing a face covering. Some operators may be fine with you sitting in the front seat so long as you wear a face covering. Others may only permit the carriage of passengers in the back seat with the passenger separated from the driver by means of a plastic screen. If you can, please pay the driver with a credit or debit card.
Wherever you are going on Greater Manchester’s bus network over the yuletide period, have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Most importantly, stay safe. Remember to wear a face covering (unless exempt for medical reasons) and sanitise your hands before you board and before you alight your bus. Whether at the bus stop or from your state-of-the-art transport interchange, don’t forget to stand or sit two metres apart from your fellow passengers.
S.V., 24 December 2020.