Free travel for armed forces personnel on Stagecoach buses
Stagecoach Manchester will commemorate Remembrance Sunday by offering free travel to all armed forces personnel and veterans across the city. Since the start of this month, the company’s vehicles have carried commemorative poppies below the windscreen. These will be seen on buses till the 14 November.
If you have served in the armed forces, free travel will be offered to you on Remembrance Sunday, on production of a valid military ID card. If you are a veteran wearing a veteran’s badge, you can also climb aboard for free.
Stagecoach Manchester Managing Director Elisabeth Tasker said: “It’s lovely to see our decorated buses around Manchester, honouring our armed forces, and as ever we’re proud to be able to support the Royal British Legion in their poppy appeal.”
“This is a cause that is close to the heart of many of our employees, as well as our customers, and something we will continue to support.”
The plans to support serving and retired military personnel follow the Stagecoach Group’s signing of the Armed Forces Corporate Covenant in March 2015. The voluntary Ministry of Defence written covenant recognises the contribution made by service personnel, reservists, veterans and military families to the UK and the value they bring to businesses across the country.
The pledge was signed by Stagecoach Group Chief Executive Martin Griffiths, committing the Group to upholding the key principles of the Armed Forces Covenant. This includes the fair treatment and respect of all members of the Armed Forces Community, and supporting military personnel and their families.
The Stagecoach Group is a silver award holder in the Defence Employer Recognition Scheme and has been recognised for its ongoing support for military personnel, past and present.
Remembrance Sunday events and Stagecoach Manchester routes in Tameside:
Please note: this is not a full list of the Remembrance Sunday events that are held in Tameside, only a list of those served by Stagecoach Manchester buses. Other routes and operators are also available.
∆ – Limited service (fewer than ten return journeys).
- Ashton-under-Lyne town centre (9.00am to 11.30am): 216, 219, 230, 231, 237, 330, 346, 347;
- Audenshaw Cemetery (3.00pm): 347;
- Cockbrook (10.55am): 237;
- Denton town centre (10.00am to 12.30pm): 150, 201, 204, 205, 324, 347;
- Denton West End (1.30pm): 7, 150, 201, 203, 204, 205;
- Droylsden town centre (10.00am to 12.00pm): 216, 230, 231;
- Dukinfield town centre (2.30pm to 4.00pm): 330 (from Dukinfield Town Hall), 346 (from War Memorial/Astley Arms);
- Haughton Green (10.30am): 204, 324, 347;
- Hollingworth (10.00am): 237;
- Hurst (9.30am): 231;
- Hyde town centre (2.00pm to 4.00pm): 150, 201, 204, 330, 343∆, 346;
- Mossley town centre (10.45am): 343∆;
- Mottram-in-Longdendale (10.30am): 237;
- Newton (9.45am to 11.00am): 343∆, 346;
- Stalybridge town centre (10.25am to 12 noon): 237, 343∆.
- Waterloo (2.00pm): 230, 231.
Also offering free travel for armed forces personnel…
First Greater Manchester
Free travel for uniformed personnel and non-uniformed armed forces personnel (on production of valid identity card). In Tameside, this covers the following locations:
- Ashton-under-Lyne town centre (9.00am to 11.30am): 348, 350, 409;
- Cockbrook (10.55am): 348;
- Mossley town centre (10.45am): 350;
- Stalybridge town centre (10.25am to 12 noon): 348.
- Waterloo (2.00pm): 409.
Rosso, Burnley Bus Company, Blackburn Bus Company
Free travel for uniformed personnel and non-uniformed armed forces personnel and veterans (on production of valid identity card).
An EM60 Production, 08 November 2019.