Ashton United welcome newly promoted Atherton Collieries whilst Mossley and Stalybridge Celtic travel away
Well, the wait is over. Today at 6pm, the Northern Premier League has announced its fixtures for the 2019 – 2020 season. This season will also see two significant developments for the 51-year-old league. First is the creation of a North West Division and a South East Division. The second one is a change of sponsor: this time as the BetVictor Northern Premier. A change from being sponsored by adhesive products.
As the creator of East of the M60 does not support the sponsorship of sports leagues by gambling companies, East of the M60 will refer to the league and its divisions in its unsponsored guise. For example, the ‘Northern Premier League North West Division’ instead of the ‘BetVictor Northern Premier North West Division’.
Opening day and first midweek fixtures
The opening day of the NPL’s fixtures is the 17 August 2019. With the National League North season being two weeks old, that Saturday will be the start of the season for most of Tameside’s clubs and Glossop North End.
Ashton United, Hyde United and Droylsden will begin their season at home. The Robins will entertain newly promoted Atherton Collieries. Basford United will be Hyde United’s opponents whereas Colne will be travelling to the Butchers Arms.
For Stalybridge Celtic, it is a case of Groundhog Day for their opening day opponents. Once more, the ‘Bridge open their season against Mickleover Sports. This time, away from home at The Don Amott Arena.
Whilst Droylsden are at home, their fellows in the NPL North West Division Mossley AFC travel to Ossett United. Glossop North End, in the NPL South East Division begin their season against Stamford.
Our first midweek fixtures see the Robins, Tigers, and the Bloods away from home. On Tuesday night, Ashton United are away to South Shields whereas Hyde United are away to FC United of Manchester.
Likely to be affected by a monster crowd at Broadhurst Park is Stalybridge Celtic’s home fixture against Scarborough Athletic. With Mossley AFC’s attendances on the rise, their home match against Runcorn Linnets could dent the gate at Bower Fold. Droylsden will be away to Widnes on the following Wednesday.
Final day fixtures
On the final day of the season, three of Tameside’s clubs and Glossop North End will be away. Hyde United finish their season at Bamber Bridge whereas Ashton United make the short trip to Cantilever Park, Warrington Town’s humble abode. Glossop North End face a final day trip to Market Drayton Town whereas Droylsden will finish their season at Workington.
Stalybridge Celtic’s last game of the season will be a home fixture: this time with Matlock Town making a modest trip to Bower Fold. Mossley AFC are also at home with Brighouse Town heading down to Seel Park.
Bank Holiday and Christmas Fixtures
August Bank Holiday, 26 August 2019
- NPL Prem.: Ashton United v. Stalybridge Celtic;
- NPL Prem.: Hyde United v. Buxton;
- NPL NW.: Droylsden v. Mossley AFC;
- NPL SE.: Glossop North End v. Stocksbridge Park Steels.
- NPL Prem.: Hyde United v. Stalybridge Celtic;
- NPL Prem.: Ashton United v. FC United of Manchester;
- NPL NW.: Droylsden v. Trafford;
- NPL NW.: Ramsbottom United v. Mossley AFC;
- NPL SE.: Glossop North End v. Leek Town.
New Year’s Day
- NPL Prem.: Stalybridge Celtic v. Ashton United;
- NPL Prem.: Buxton v. Hyde United;
- NPL NW.: Mossley AFC v. Droylsden;
- NPL SE.: Stocksbridge Park Steels v. Glossop North End.
Easter Monday, 13 April 2020
- NPL Prem.: Stalybridge Celtic v. Hyde United;
- NPL Prem.: FC United of Manchester v. Ashton United;
- NPL NW.: Droylsden v. Trafford;
- NPL NW.: Mossley AFC v. Ramsbottom United;
- NPL SE.: Leek Town v. Glossop North End.
All fixtures may be subject to change due to the usual constraints, F.A. Cup/F.A. Trophy/league cup/county cup runs or inclement weather.
Other all Greater Manchester NPL clashes
With six Greater Manchester teams in the Northern Premier League Premier Division alone, there will be no shortage of derbies. The North West Division has four clubs from our city region taking the total to ten across all three divisions.
Northern Premier League Premier Division
- 26-08-2019: Radcliffe v. FC United of Manchester;
- 03-09-2019: Radcliffe v. Ashton United;
- 14-09-2019: Stalybridge Celtic v. Atherton Collieries;
- 05-10-2019: Radcliffe v. Hyde United;
- 05-10-2019: Stalybridge Celtic v. FC United of Manchester;
- 02-11-2019: Stalybridge Celtic v. Radcliffe;
- 30-11-2019: Ashton United v. Radcliffe;
- 07-12-2019: Atherton Collieries v. Hyde United;
- 21-12-2019: Atherton Collieries v. Ashton United;
- 26-12-2019: Radcliffe v. Atherton Collieries;
- 01-01-2020: FC United of Manchester v. Radcliffe;
- 04-01-2020: Hyde United v. FC United of Manchester;
- 11-01-2020: Atherton Collieries v. Stalybridge Celtic;
- 15-02-2020: FC United of Manchester v. Atherton Collieries;
- 22-02-2020: Ashton United v. Hyde United;
- 21-03-2020: FC United of Manchester v. Stalybridge Celtic;
- 21-03-2020: Hyde United v. Radcliffe;
- 28-03-2020: Hyde United v. Atherton Collieries;
- 13-04-2020: Atherton Collieries v. Radcliffe;
- 18-04-2020: Radcliffe v. Stalybridge Celtic.
Northern Premier League North West Division
- 26-08-2019: Ramsbottom United v. Trafford;
- 30-11-2019: Mossley v. Trafford;
- 14-12-2019: Ramsbottom United v. Droylsden;
- 01-01-2020: Trafford v. Ramsbottom United;
- 01-02-2020: Droylsden v. Ramsbottom United.
Also on the opening day of the NPL season…
Curzon Ashton are at home to Kidderminster Harriers in the National League North. Greater Manchester’s other representative in the Nash’s league, Altrincham, are away to Brackley Town.
We cannot wait…
Are you looking forward to the new season? Who do you think are going to go up to the National League North? Will Mossley gain promotion to the Premier Division? Are Atherton Collieries whipping boys or dark horses? Feel free to comment.
S.V., 11 July 2019.