A Christmas Card for all our readers
Here we go again, another eight days left of 2017 to enjoy. You know what that means: turkey, tinsel. If you can find anything on the ol’ telebox this Yuletide, good luck to you! O.K., forget that line: there seems to a few festive goodies across the channels. New Year’s Day 2018 will see the ITV Network Premiere of Spectre, the latest James Bond film.
Before you rush off to open your presents tomorrow or eagerly await the arrival of a new Doctor on Doctor Who:
- The 330 and 409 will be running a limited service on Boxing Day (half hourly during shopping hours), along with the 201, 216 and 219;
- The Boxing Day 330 will be advantageous for Hyde United fans heading to The Butchers Arms (alongside a tram or 216 from Ashton to Droylsden);
- It may be double fare or Tariff 3 on the local taxis for ‘Bridge fans watching Ashton United at Hurst Cross (Can Stalybridge Celtic get an away win? The creator of this blog wore short trousers when they were unstoppable away from home);
- You cannot escape the furniture adverts on ITV. If you wish to catch up on your Carry On films, ITV3 will be full of them on Christmas Day;
- Timeshifting your Christmas viewing will prove to be a useful ally, especially if you like Call The Midwife (which clashes with Paul O’Grady’s The Love of Dogs Christmas Special and Coronation Street).
If any of Hyde United’s and Stalybridge Celtic’s fixtures with Droylsden and Ashton United go ahead, enjoy the game. If Stalybridge Celtic do chalk up an away win, spread the word! Uncork the Prosecco, grab a double single malt whisky, or a bottle conditioned ale at 5pm to commemorate this feat.
Apart from all that, East of the M60 wishes you all a Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year. May your Christmas be wet, merry, and tinged with a glass of real cider or real ale.
S.V., 24 December 2017.