Christmas and New Year bus service information for passengers in Tameside and surrounding area
Ladies and gentlemen, it’s that time of the year again. With Christmas drawing near, we at East of the M60 look at our Yuletide buses within the Tameside area.
As with the last four Christmases, Stagecoach Manchester and First Greater Manchester will be operating a skeleton service on Boxing Day and New Year’s Day along trunk routes. For Tameside’s football fans, the first fixtures of 2018 will fall on a Monday, which is New Year’s Day.
* * *
Bus Service Summary:
18 – 23, and 27 – 29 December 2017: normal weekday service, ran to summer holiday schedules on Stagecoach Manchester routes. Expect normal weekday services on all other operators’ routes.
Christmas Eve: normal Sunday service with most routes finishing around 1800 hours. Please note that tendered evening journeys, such as Stagecoach Manchester’s journeys on the 346 and MCT Travel’s 41 route will not operate. Therefore the last journeys on the 346 and 41 services will be 1834 and 1821 respectively (from Ashton-under-Lyne bus station). As both the 340 and 355 routes finish operating by 1800 hours, a normal Sunday service will apply.
Christmas Day: no service outside Manchester City Council boundaries. The only service is the 43 from Manchester to Manchester Airport (hourly timetable: 0805 – 1905 southbound, 0910 – 2010 northbound).
Boxing Day: some trunk routes may be in operation throughout Greater Manchester. In Tameside, the following services will be:
- 201 (Piccadilly – Hattersley): every half hour – 0727 to 1957 from Hattersley, 0831 to 2101 from Piccadilly Gardens;
- 204 (Piccadilly – Haughton Green): every half hour – 0729 to 1959 from Haughton Green, 0821 to 2051 from Piccadily Gardens;
- 216 (Piccadilly – Droylsden – Ashton-under-Lyne): every 20 minutes – 0840 to 2020 from Ashton-under-Lyne, 0840 to 2100 from Piccadilly Gardens;
- 219 (Piccadilly – Higher Openshaw – Ashton-under-Lyne): every 20 minutes – 0850 to 2030 from Ashton-under-Lyne, 0850 to 2110;
- 330 (Ashton-under-Lyne – Dukinfield – Hyde – Stockport): every half hour – 0910 to 1710 from Ashton-under-Lyne, 0910 to 1710 from Stockport;
- 409 (Rochdale – Oldham – Ashton-under-Lyne): every half hour – 0816 to 1716 from Thornham to Ashton-under-Lyne, 0835 to 1705 from Rochdale to Ashton-under-Lyne, 1735 from Rochdale to Oldham;
- 409 (Ashton-under-Lyne – Oldham – Rochdale): every half hour – 0835 to 1735 to Rochdale, also 0824 journey from Oldham to Rochdale arriving at 0849.
New Year’s Eve: Sunday service with most routes finishing around 1800 hours. Some may continue till 1900 or 2000 hours.
Stagecoach Manchester will also be operating a number of night buses till 4am (special fares apply). In Tameside, the following Night Services will be the:
- 201 (Piccadilly – Hyde): every hour – from 1916 to 2216 to Piccadilly Gardens, then 0110 and 0245 to Hyde;
- 219 (Piccadilly – Higher Openshaw – Ashton-under-Lyne): every hour – 2000, 2100, 2200, 0130, and 0300 to Ashton-under-Lyne and 2030, 2130, and 2230 to Piccadilly Gardens.
System One day savers and Stagecoach Manchester day savers will be valid till midnight.
After midnight, the full complement of System One and Stagecoach Manchester season tickets, along with concessionary passes will also be valid. Once again, there will be no night buses on the 216 service. However, there is one consolation; Metrolink tram services on the East Manchester Line will be running till 1am.
New Year’s Day 2018: on most routes, no services. In Tameside, these are the following routes which will be operated by Stagecoach Manchester:
- 201 (Piccadilly – Hyde – Hattersley): every hour – 0951 to 1751 from Hattersley, 1050 to 1750 from Piccadilly Gardens;
- 219 (Piccadilly – Higher Openshaw – Ashton-under-Lyne): every half hour – 1020 to 1750 from Ashton-under-Lyne, 1040 to 1810 from Piccadilly Gardens.
02 – 05 January 2018: normal services resume, though some Stagecoach Manchester routes may see a modified weekday timetable.
06 January 2018: normal Saturday service.
07 January 2018: normal Sunday service.
As always there will also be details of last buses on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve at Shudehill Interchange, Ashton-under-Lyne and Hyde bus stations, and at the TfGM Travelshop on Piccadilly Gardens.
* * *
If you have any queries, it may be worth telephoning your local operator as well as using Traveline’s service [0871 200 2233] or the internet to plan your journey with. The telephone numbers are as follows:
- First Greater Manchester: 0845 788 1155 (local rates, Monday – Friday during office hours) or 0161 627 2929;
- Stagecoach in Manchester: 0161 273 3377;
- Stott’s Tours (Oldham) Ltd: 0161 624 4200;
- MCT Travel: 0161 946 9255.
- Transport for Greater Manchester: the new-look TfGM website with everything you need to know about Greater Manchester’s buses, trains, and trams (yet were afraid to call into a Travelshop);
- First Greater Manchester: all the usual timetable details and service updates affecting the parts of Greater Manchester north of the M67 motorway;
- Stagecoach Manchester: all the usual timetable details and updates. Please note, this website link points to the national site, and asks for your location.
- Metrolink: for the tram-based bus alternative. This is especially true if you live in Droylsden, where there will be no 216s on New Year’s Day 2017.
Football fixtures during the Christmas period:
Please note that the following fixtures detailed below concern clubs within the Tameside area, and its travel to work area. All kick-off times are 3pm unless stated otherwise.
- 23 December 2017: Curzon Ashton v. Stockport County;
- 23 December 2017: Altrincham v. Matlock Town;
- 23 December 2017: Stalybridge Celtic v. Rushall Olympic;
- 23 December 2017: Hyde United v. Scarborough Athletic;
- 23 December 2017: Mossley v. Kendal Town;
- 23 December 2017: Radcliffe Borough v. Droylsden;
- 23 December 2017: Manchester City v. AFC Bournemouth (1730);
- 26 December 2017: Manchester United v. Burnley (extra matchday buses in operation from Manchester city centre);
- 26 December 2017: FC United of Manchester v. Salford City;
- 26 December 2017: Stockport County v. Alfreton Town;
- 26 December 2017: Ashton United v. Stalybridge Celtic;
- 26 December 2017: Droylsden v. Hyde United;
- 26 December 2017: Glossop North End v. Mossley;
- 30 December 2017: Ashton United v. Sutton Coldfield Town;
- 30 December 2017: Droylsden v. Ossett Town;
- 30 December 2017: Glossop North End v. Skelmersdale United;
- 01 January 2018: Curzon Ashton v. Bradford Park Avenue;
- 01 January 2018: Salford City v. FC United of Manchester;
- 01 January 2018: Altrincham v. Witton Albion;
- 01 January 2018: Stalybridge Celtic v. Lancaster City;
- 01 January 2018: Hyde United v. Glossop North End;
- 01 January 2018: Mossley v. Droylsden.
* * *
As always, If there’s any additions to the above article, feel free to add them to this post. Details of variations to trams and trains will appear in another posting on East of the M60.
S.V., 21 December 2017.