This month’s window on the shop windows
- Ashton Review of Shops is Up For The Cup;
- Simply Clintons is up for the chop;
- Hyde’s new store will sell you a chop, with a neat price drop;
- Plus all the other retail movements.
On the F.A. Cup Trail
Before anyone tells you that the F.A. Challenge Cup starts proper in January, think again. The World’s Greatest Cup Competition begins in early August and sets sail proper on the 02 September. Following their success in the F.A. Cup Preliminary Round, Mossley, Droylsden, and Hyde United are through to the First Qualifying Round this Saturday.
From the Northern Premier League’s Premier Division, Ashton United and Stalybridge Celtic enter the fray. Tameside’s tie of the round is undoubtedly Stalybridge Celtic’s versus Farsley Celtic. If you are thinking of cheering on your local Tameside club, support the local boozers as well as the ‘Bridge, Robins, Tigers, Lilywhites, and the Bloods. Whereas Ashton United are away to Marine, there are four F.A. Cup ties on in the borough. They are as follows:
- Droylsden v. Colwyn Bay;
- Hyde United v. Kendal Town;
- Mossley v. 1874 Northwich;
- Stalybridge Celtic v. Farsley Celtic.
The kick-off time, 3.00pm of course. As it should be.
Ashton-under-Lyne railway engineering works
Work is well under way on the subway leading to Ashton-under-Lyne railway station. A new touchscreen ticket machine has been added and the ticket office window has a split level counter.
TAC Tales: Update on the Joint Service Centre
The building is starting to take shape with more grey panelling being added by the day. More work has been done with the glass panels in front of the former water board building.
Also related to the development of the Joint Service Centre, are the DWP’s plans to streamline its estate. On the 08 September [this coming Friday after press], Stalybridge Job Centre Plus will close its doors. Thereafter, claimant who hitherto signed on or saw their Work Coach there will have to go to Ashton-under-Lyne Job Centre Plus on Old Street. On completion, Ashton JCP will move to the Joint Service Centre.
Forthcoming Planning Applications
Polite Note: for reasons of brevity, any pub and club applications come under the Pub and Club Update section. You know the drill (I’ve sold it to my mate on the Crown and Cushion car park, in a Morrisons carrier bag).
This month, very quiet, reflecting the lull of the holiday season.
- Plans have been made for a set of new signage on the Arcades Shopping Centre. This will entail five non-illuminated powder coated aluminium tray signs; four sets of four vinyl graphics; a printed flex face; and two PVC banners.
- Simply Clintons in the Arcades Shopping Centre are having a closing down sale as is…
- …Gems, a few doors down, opposite WHSmith.
- On Manchester Street Retail Park, Hyde, The Food Warehouse will be opening their new store in the former ALDI unit. From the same people who brought you Iceland, it will have the full range of own brand items and more besides.
Pub and club update
Could Stalybridge be getting a second micro pub? Plans have been submitted for the conversion of a former E-Cig shop into a micro pub with a flat above. The property is on 41, Melbourne Street, on the side of the Huddersfield Narrow Canal towpath. If approved, its proposed opening hours will be between 1100 and 2230, seven days a week.
Over in Droylsden, the final planning obstacles have been overcome for The Silly Country micro pub on Villemomble Square. Expect to see some activity by Christmas.
* * *
Our next Ashton Review of Shops will be out on the 07 October 2017. With Christmas looming, things should begin to hot up even more. Will they? Tune it to find out more, same Ashton Bat time, same Ashton Bat channel.
S.V., 02 September 2017.