Proposed industrial action for Queens Road and Oldham depots
- Strike action affects all Saddleworth services from Oldham and Manchester;
- Passengers within Salford, Rochdale, Oldham, Trafford and Manchester affected;
- Normal service on most First Greater Manchester routes within Tameside, Bolton, and Bury.
This Tuesday, Oldham and Saddleworth passengers will see grave disruption to most of its bus services. Following a trade dispute regarding changes to staff conditions and bargaining procedures, First Greater Manchester are set to go on strike. The strike will affect drivers at their Oldham and Queens Road depots, with most of Oldham’s and Saddleworth’s buses affected.
As a consequence, the strike will put more pressure on the Metrolink service, and on trains to and from Rochdale, Castleton, Moston, Mills Hill, and Greenfield railway stations. With First Greater Manchester enjoying a substantial market share in Oldham, this is set to have an adverse effect on traffic conditions and result in more overcrowded rail-based transport.
There will also be no service on Metroshuttle services in central Manchester, and limited services on a selected number of trunk routes. Without the 180 and 184, Saddleworth’s bus users will be virtually cut off, apart from an hourly daytime service between Greenfield and Dobcross (or every two hours between Friezland and Greenland, and every two hours from Dobcross to Denshaw).
On the other hand, Tameside has been sheltered from the proposed strike with only the 350, 408 and 409 services affected. The 350 service will only be operated from Ashton-under-Lyne to Mossley [Hey Farm], with a limited number of peak hour journeys along the full route via Saddleworth. First Greater Manchester’s peak hour journeys of the much-bricked 408 service will not be running (MCT Travel and Rosso journeys not affected).
There will be a skeleton service on the 184 route (from Oldham to Grotton), the 83 and the 409 services Both the 83 and 409 services will use their full route. Details of which will be mentioned on First Greater Manchester’s Twitter feed.
Strike day service details:
Details of services East of the M60 motorway and other important routes affected by the strike. Plus possible alternative suggestions.
- Metroshuttles 1 and 2: Manchester Piccadilly Station – Shudehill;
- Metroshuttle 3: Manchester Piccadilly Station – Spinningfields;
- 6: Rochdale – Kirkholt Circular;
- 17: Rochdale – Middleton – Manchester [Shudehill Interchange] (163 service; MCT Travel 419 service or taxi to Mills Hill then train to Manchester);
- 24: Rochdale/Thornham – Manchester [Piccadilly Gardens];
- 53: Cheetham Hill – Beswick – Belle Vue – Longsight – Salford Shopping City;
- 58: Rochdale – Oldham – Middleton (limited 59 service; tram from Westwood to Rochdale Interchange);
- 81: Derker – Oldham – Chadderton – Manchester [Piccadilly Gardens] (taxi to Oldham Mumps then tram; or foot to Derker tram station);
- 81A: Holts Estate – Oldham – Chadderton – Manchester [Piccadilly Gardens](taxi to Oldham Mumps then tram);
- 180: Greenfield – Oldham – Manchester [Piccadilly Gardens] (taxi or 354 to Greenfield railway station or taxi to The Royal George for Stotts’ 343 service);
- 181: Shaw – Manchester [Piccadilly Gardens]
- 408: Shaw – Oldham – Stalybridge (First Greater Manchester peak hour journeys only);
- 415: Middleton – Alkrington Garden Village – Chadderton – Oldham (taxi to Mills Hill railway station; or trams from Freehold and South Chadderton stations);
- 425: Holts Estate – Oldham – Fitton Hill (taxi to Oldham; only alternative bus from Fitton Hill is MCT Travel’s 396 for Ashton-under-Lyne and Newton Heath);
- X84: Carrcote – Manchester [Piccadilly Gardens].
- 59: Manchester [Piccadilly Gardens] – Heaton Park – Middleton – Oldham – Shaw (tram may be a good option, unless travelling between Oldham and Heaton Park);
- 83: Sholver – Oldham – Hollinwood – Manchester [Piccadilly Gardens] (as well as the tram, Stagecoach Manchester’s 76 service could be a suitable alternative route);
- 184: Grotton – Oldham [Mumps Bridge] (no service between Grotton and Huddersfield, and Oldham to Manchester [Piccadilly]; taxi to Greenfield or Marsden stations);
- 350: Ashton-under-Lyne – Uppermill – Oldham (limited service between Ashton-under-Lyne and Mossley, and selected peak hour journeys along full route via Saddleworth);
- 409: Rochdale – Oldham – Ashton-under-Lyne.
- 38/39: Ashton-under-Lyne – Hazelhurst Circular;
- 135: Bury – Whitefield – Cheetham Hill – Manchester [Piccadilly Gardens];
- 163: Bury – Middleton – Manchester;
- 231: Ashton-under-Lyne – Tameside Hospital – Droylsden – Manchester [Piccadilly Gardens] (evening journey);
- 232: Ashton-under-Lyne – Hurst Circular;
- 331/333: Ashton-under-Lyne – Hurst Circulars;
- 338: Ashton-under-Lyne – Crowhill;
- 346: Ashton-under-Lyne – Dukinfield – Hyde;
- 348: Ashton-under-Lyne – Stalybridge – Carrbrook;
- 353: Ashton-under-Lyne – Top Mossley – Roughtown – Uppermill – Dobcross;
- 354: Ashton-under-Lyne – Bottom Mossley – Roaches – Greenfield – Uppermill – Dobcross – Delph – Denshaw;
- 387: Ashton-under-Lyne – Tameside Hospital – Stalybridge – Hattersley – Hyde;
- 389: Ashton-under-Lyne – Ridge Hill Estate – Stalybridge – Dukinfield [Yew Tree] – Hyde;
- 393: Ashton-under-Lyne – Hartshead Circular;
- 471: Rochdale – Heywood – Bury – Breightmet – Bolton;
- 589: Burnley – Todmorden – Littleborough – Rochdale;
- 590: Halifax – Hebden Bridge – Todmorden – Littleborough – Rochdale;
- V1: Manchester [Stevenson Square] – Leigh;
- V2: Manchester [Stevenson Square] – Atherton.
S.V., 22 May 2016.