From County Bridge to Johnson Brook
If you’re new to Dukinfield, you may have wondered how the town’s streets got their names. A fair number of the town’s streets are named after former councillors, landmarks and parts of Scotland. A lot of the town’s housing stock moved to hitherto rural parts between the 1950s and 1970s. For some residents, It is hard to believe how in the space of sixty years, the Dukinfield Central estate changed from terraced housing to prefabricated deck-access flats.
Armadale Road: named after a West Lothian town off the M8 motorway, once close to British Motor Corporation’s Bathgate plant. The first part was built in 1936 – 37 up to Barlow Road, with the second part following in the late 1950s. By then, the road was much extended, leading to Dewsnap Lane, with Inverness Road and Freeman Road also feeding into the southern section.
Arran Road: one of Dukinfield’s shortest streets, named after the Scottish island in the Firth of Clyde. The Isle of Arran is accessed by ferry from Ardrossan to Brodick.
Astley Street: from Globe Square to Old Road, named after Francis Dukinfield Astley. The street led to his family’s desirable residence at Dukinfield Lodge.
Barlow Road: named after a former councillor who sanctioned the development of Barlow Road estate in the mid-1930s. Part of which, on the corner of The Wheatsheaf public house was Harrop Street. Road starts from earlier version of Birch Lane, finishing at Armadale Road North.
Birch Lane: taken from Birch House, the site of which close to the northern boundary fence of All Saints Catholic College. Dukinfield’s second busiest road and, prior to the late 1970s, began at the junction of Jackson Avenue and Town Lane. Before 1874, it was originally known as Town Lane South.
Boyds Walk: first part of street up to Lakes Road dates from early 1920s with mix of semi-detached and detached houses before being extended up to Birch Lane in 1950s. Probably named after a footpath it superseded or a private developer.
Buckingham Drive: one of six regally named streets off Yew Tree Lane built to commemorate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth the Second in 1953. This one is named after Buckingham Palace, one of many Chez Windsors dotted around the UK.
Chapel Street: refers to one of Dukinfield’s most revered landmarks, the Old Chapel Unitarian Church next to The Astley Arms. The original street stopped at King Street before being extended in the mid-1920s up to Astley Street.
Coronation Avenue: one of six regally named streets off Yew Tree Lane built to commemorate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth the Second in 1953. No prizes for guessing what this street is in honour of: Queen Elizabeth’s coronation on the 02 June 1953 of course!
Crescent Road: named after Half Moon Crescent, on the junction of Foundry Street, Town Lane and Chapel Street, finishing at County Bridge. Half Moon Crescent was a circular square with terraced housing next to The Astley Arms (Top Astley).
Dewsnap Lane: named after a farm in the Newton Wood part of Dukinfield which at one time was known as Dewsnip Farm. Probably one of the oldest streets in Dukinfield, running from King Street to Birch Lane.
Elgin Road: south of Arran Road and again, one of the shortest streets in Dukinfield. Named after the city north east by east of Inverness, a short train ride or drive away.
Fir Tree Lane: takes its name from Firtree Farm. Farmhouse and associated dwellings (long replaced by housing) around 50 yards east of the Forester public house.
Foundry Street: takes its name from Bevan’s iron works, starting from the junction of Crescent Road and finishing at the junction of Birch Lane. Another part of the street is now a cul-de-sac thanks to late-1970s road works, from the junction of Oxford Road and Lodge Lane.
Glenmore Grove: named after the village and forest in the Scottish Highlands. The village of Glenmore is a short drive away from Aviemore up in the Cairngorms.
Globe Lane: name taken from the Globe Inn public house on Globe Square. Forms part of the Dukinfield Hall area, where the hall stood till 1951. All what remains of Dukinfield Hall is a shell from the Old Hall Chapel.
Heron Avenue: a fairly recent (well, 1987) Dukinfield street, part of a Redrow housing development on the site of Dukinfield Lower Reservoir. It is one of six waterborne bird related streets, presumably inspired by its previous function. Or in memoriam of what wildlife Dukinfielders may have lost.
Inverness Road: so-called after one of Britain’s newest cities and the commercial centre of the Scottish Highlands. Housing stock a mix of early 1930s and mid-1950s development.
Jura Close: refers to the Jura departement which takes its name from the Jura Mountains. It is the very departement where Dukinfield’s twin town Champagnole lies, which is marketed as “The Pearl of the Jura”. A short street just off Foundry Street, created in the 1970s.
Kenyon Avenue: from Birch Lane, this street took its name from a detached house close to Cheetham Hill Road. Originally, it formed part of a thoroughfare to Yew Tree Lane. Largely redeveloped in the 1960s with a mix of private housing development. Before 2013, path led from Kenyon Avenue to Yew Tree Lane via Cheetham Hill Road and Chester Avenue.
Lakes Road: from Pickford Lane to Boyds Walk, this street takes its name from a pond and The Lakes house, used today as a care home. The bottom end of Lakes Road, south of Boyds Walk is Ralphs Lane.
Lismore Road: named after the island on Loch Linnhae north east of the Isle of Mull. The island itself is accessible by ferry from Oban (operated by Caledonian MacBrayne). Lismore Road however, is only accessible from Boyds Walk and a short distance from the 41 and 343 bus stops.
Lodge Lane: originally a road to the Dukinfield Lodge’s easterly entrance, before finishing at Oxford Road, starting at Cheetham Hill Road.
Lyne Edge Road: so-called after Linehedge Farm. 1970s clubhouse for Dukinfield Golf Course was on the site opposite street, before being replaced by modern housing development. Housing mainly of 1950s – 1960s origin with street leading to Fir Tree Lane. Connecting Lyne Edge Road with Gorse Hall Road is Lyne Edge Crescent.
Mountbatten Avenue: one of six regally named streets off Yew Tree Lane built to commemorate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth the Second in 1953. So-called in honour of Earl Mountbatten.
Nicholson Square: named after a former Dukinfield councillor, as part of the Clarendon Field housing estate constructed between 1927 and 1928. Junction of Brice Street, Underwood Street and Hope Street.
Outram Road: connecting Broadway with Captain Clarke Road, its industrial ambience befits an appropriate name for this street. It is named in honour of the civil engineer Benjamin Outram, who built the Peak Forest Canal nearby.
Park Road: skirting the northern part of Dukinfield crematorium, the name reflects its previous position as a boundary of Dukinfield Lodge’s grounds. The street is an extension of Mill Lane which started at Crescent Road before finishing at Dukinfield Old Mill.
Queensway: nothing to do with Lord Harris of Peckham’s defunct furniture store chain, but one of six regally named streets off Yew Tree Lane built to commemorate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth the Second in 1953. So-called to commemorate the Queen’s coronation of course!
Range Road: just off Yew Tree Lane, the largely unmade street took its name from the rifle range behind the western brow of Hough Hill.
Sandringham Drive: one of six regally named streets off Yew Tree Lane built to commemorate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth the Second in 1953. This is named after the Windsor’s Norfolk residence between King’s Lynn and Hunstanton, which at one time had its own railway station.
Sandy Lane: so-called after the sandy hills east of the grounds of Dukinfield Lodge. Leads to Park Road, Clarence Street and Sandy Vale. The last street is a cul-de-sac.
Tarbet Road: named after a small town on the banks of Loch Lomond. Tarbet itself is dominated by gardens and Shearings’ Tarbet Hotel as well as the loch. Street itself links Armadale Road with Boyds Walk.
Town Lane: today’s incarnation is much truncated leading to the junction of Crescent Road, starting from the junction of Pickford Lane. Before the 1970s, it continued to The Albion Hotel. Section south-west of Pickford Lane pedestrianised and known as Concord Way.
Underwood Street: part of the Dukinfield Corporation development of Clarendon Fields estate in 1927 – 28, it is named after former mayor William Underwood. A drinking fountain for Dukinfield Park was gifted to the town by his wife Annie.
Victoria Street: so-called after Queen Victoria and close to its neighbouring street, Albert Street. Originally accessed from Town Lane finishing at Jeffrey Street. Today’s street continues to Barlow Road, as per inter-war housing development. Could also be named after the Victoria colliery and Victoria Farm.
Windsor Drive: one of six regally named streets off Yew Tree Lane built to commemorate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth the Second in 1953. So-called owing to the royal family’s surname.
Yew Tree Lane: named after Yewtree Farm, house situated on the present site of Dukinfield Moravian Church, connecting Cheetham Hill Road with Early Bank Road.
Zetland Street: refers to either a suburb of New South Wales, Australia, or an anachronistic spelling of Shetland.
* * *
Is that everything?
I have only chosen a handful of the numerous streets in Dukinfield. Unless you know different, there is no street in Dukinfield that begins with the letter X. And, no, I am not accepting the use of the letter ‘X’ as a substitute for ‘cross’. Feel free to add to the existing list or correct me if necessary.
Perhaps we might do a feature on X Streets in Dukinfield in the near future. Maybe in relation to the lost streets of Duki.
S.V., 08 February 2015.