Christmas and New Year service information for bus users in Tameside and surrounding area
As sure as eggs are eggs, the run-up to Christmas has surely come upon us. Reports of excellent footfall at the Christmas Markets and the kerfuffle on Black Friday have been well documented which augurs well for retailers.
Whether for the sales or a few ales, the best way to celebrate Christmas and New Year is on public transport. All the more with regular Metrolink trams from Ashton-under-Lyne as well as trains and its wealth of Manchester bound buses.
* * *
Bus Service Summary:
22, 23, 29, 30 December and 02 January: normal weekday service, ran to summer holiday schedules on Stagecoach Manchester routes. Expect normal weekday services on all other operators’ routes.
Christmas Eve: normal weekday services, enhanced Saturday service or standard Saturday service with most routes finishing around 1800 hours. Some may continue till 1900 or 2000 hours.
Christmas Day: no service outside Manchester City Council boundaries, where only service in operation is the 43 from Manchester to Manchester Airport (hourly timetable: 0805 – 1905 southbound, 0910 – 2010 northbound).
Boxing Day: some trunk routes may be in operation throughout Greater Manchester. In Tameside, it has been confirmed by Stagecoach Manchester that the following services in operation will be:
- 201 (Piccadilly – Hattersley): every half hour from 0831 to 2101 hours, eastbound; 0727 to 1957 hours, westbound;
- 204 (Piccadilly – Haughton Green – Hyde): every half hour from 0821 to 2051 hours, eastbound; 0729 to 1959 hours, westbound;
- 216 (Piccadilly – Droylsden – Ashton-under-Lyne): every 20 minutes from 0840 to 2100 hours, eastbound; 0840 to 2020 hours, westbound;
- 219 (Piccadilly – Higher Openshaw – Ashton-under-Lyne): every 20 minutes from 0850 to 2110 hours, eastbound; 0850 to 2030 hours, westbound;
- 330 (Ashton-under-Lyne – Dukinfield – Hyde – Stockport): every half hour from 0910 to 1710, southbound; 0925 to 1725, northbound.
All times are the same as last year’s timetable.
27 December 2013: standard Saturday service.
28 December 2013: standard Sunday service.
New Year’s Eve: weekday services, enhanced Saturday service or standard Saturday service with most routes finishing around 1800 hours. Some may continue till 1900 or 2000 hours.
Stagecoach Manchester will also be operating a number of night buses (special fares apply). In Tameside, the following Night Services will be the:
- 201 (Piccadilly – Hyde): every hour from 1916 to 2316 then 0116 to 0316, westbound: 1930 to 2230 then 0030 to 0330, eastbound.
- 216 (Piccadilly – Droylsden – Ashton-under-Lyne): every hour from 2000 to 2300 hours then 0130 to 0330, westbound: 1930 to 2230 hours then 0100 to 0400, eastbound;
- 219 (Piccadilly – Higher Openshaw – Ashton-under-Lyne): every hour from 2030 to 2330 hours then 0100 to 0300, westbound: 2000 to 2300 hours then 0030 to 0330, eastbound.
It is also worth noting that special fares will apply on the above services (£3.00 single, £5.00 rover ticket) from 2000 – 0400 hours. However, System One day savers and Stagecoach Manchester day savers will be valid till midnight.
After midnight, the full complement of System One and Stagecoach Manchester season tickets, along with concessionary passes will also be valid. Once again, no variation on last year’s timetable.
New Year’s Day 2014: no services. In Tameside, these are the following routes which will be operated by Stagecoach Manchester:
- 201 (Piccadilly – Hattersley): every half hour from 1050 to 1820, eastbound: 0951 to 1721, westbound.
- 216 (Piccadilly – Droylsden – Ashton-under-Lyne): every half hour from 1055 to 1825 hours, eastbound: 1005 to 1735 hours, westbound;
- 219 (Piccadilly – Higher Openshaw – Ashton-under-Lyne): every half hour from 1040 to 1810 hours, eastbound: 1020 to 1750 hours, westbound.
03 January 2013: normal services resume.
Furthermore, there will also be details of last buses on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve at Shudehill Interchange, Ashton-under-Lyne and Hyde bus stations, and at the TfGM Travelshop on Piccadilly Gardens.
* * *
If you have any queries, it may be worth telephoning your local operator as well as using Traveline’s service [0871 200 2233] or the internet to plan your journey with. The telephone numbers are as follows:
- First Greater Manchester: 0845 788 1155 (local rates, Monday – Friday during office hours) or 0161 627 2929;
- Stagecoach in Manchester: 0161 273 3377;
- S&S Travel Services: 0845 605 7058;
- Stott’s Tours (Oldham) Ltd: 0161 624 4200;
- Checkmate Coaches: 01457 833040;
- Manchester Community Transport: 0161 946 9255.
* * *
As always, If there’s any additions to the above article, feel free to add them to this post. Details of variations to trams and trains will appear in another posting on East of the M60.
S.V., 29 November 2014.