Recession broods on, the downturn’s not over
- Beer tax escalator scrapped with 1p cut in duty;
- Frackers free to turn Blackpool into The Earthquake Capital of Europe;
- Public sector’s 1% pay cap to continue till 2016;
- Corporation Tax rate to reach same rate as present VAT rate by 2015;
- Sweet Francis Adams for everyone else.
In the run-up to the 2010 General Election, a spoof poster campaign by Labour’s activists resulted in one poster being inspired by the Life on Mars spin-off Ashes to Ashes. It showed a picture of David Cameron posing as Gene Hunt atop an Audi Quattro. The poster cajoled voters into preventing a return to the 1980s. A decade which saw high inflation, great inequality, marginalisation of Northern England and the Celtic Nations, and of course, deindustrialisation. Continue reading “East of the M60’s Budget Statement: The Same Old Scene”