Christmas and New Year service information for bus users in Tameside and surrounding area
Yes, it is that time of the year again on East of the M60 where another set of schedules is of equal importance to that of BBC’s, Sky’s and ITVs. I am referring to public transport operations in Greater Manchester. As per usual, some trunk routes will be operating a special service on Boxing Day and New Year’s Day.
So far, there is little reference as to which routes will be operated by First Greater Manchester on Boxing Day and New Year’s Day. Stagecoach Manchester has already stated which services shall be running. For the first time in 25 years, Dukinfield gets a Boxing Day bus service, with the 330 running every half hour from 0910 from Ashton and 0925 from Stockport. Last buses will depart at 1710 and 1725 respectively.
* * *
Bus Service Summary:
Christmas Eve: weekday services, enhanced Saturday service or standard Saturday service with most routes finishing around 1800 hours. Some may continue till 1900 or 2000 hours.
Christmas Day: no service outside Manchester City Council boundaries, where only service in operation is the 43 from Manchester to Manchester Airport (hourly timetable).
Boxing Day: some trunk routes may be in operation throughout Greater Manchester. In the Tameside area, it has been confirmed by Stagecoach Manchester that the following services in operation will be:
- 201 (Piccadilly – Hattersley): every half hour from 0831 to 2101 hours, eastbound: 0727 to 1957 hours, westbound;
- 204 (Piccadilly – Haughton Green – Hyde): every half hour from 0821 to 2051 hours, eastbound: 0729 to 1959 hours, westbound;
- 216 (Piccadilly – Droylsden – Ashton-under-Lyne): every 20 minutes from 0840 to 2100 hours, eastbound: 0840 to 2020 hours, westbound;
- 219 (Piccadilly – Higher Openshaw – Ashton-under-Lyne): every 20 minutes from 0850 to 2110 hours, eastbound: 0850 to 2030 hours, westbound;
- 330 (Ashton-under-Lyne – Dukinfield – Hyde – Stockport): every half hour from 0910 to 1710, southbound: 0925 to 1725, northbound.
27 and 28 December 2012: weekday services, enhanced Saturday service or standard Saturday service with standard evening services.
29 December 2012: standard Saturday service.
30 December 2012: standard Sunday service.
New Year’s Eve: weekday services, enhanced Saturday service or standard Saturday service with most routes finishing around 1800 hours. Some may continue till 1900 or 2000 hours.
Stagecoach Manchester will also be operating a number of night buses (special fares apply). In Tameside, the following Night Services will be the:
- 201 (Piccadilly – Hyde): every hour from 1916 to 2316 then 0116 to 0316, westbound: 1930 to 2230 then 0030 to 0330, eastbound.
- 216 (Piccadilly – Droylsden – Ashton-under-Lyne): every hour from 2000 to 2300 hours then 0130 to 0330, westbound: 1930 to 2230 hours then 0100 to 0400, eastbound;
- 219 (Piccadilly – Higher Openshaw – Ashton-under-Lyne): every hour from 2030 to 2330 hours then 0100 to 0300, westbound: 2000 to 2300 hours then 0030 to 0330, eastbound.
New Year’s Day 2013: no services. In Tameside, these are the following routes which will be operated by Stagecoach Manchester:
- 201 (Piccadilly – Hattersley): every half hour from 1050 to 1820, eastbound: 0951 to 1721, westbound.
- 216 (Piccadilly – Droylsden – Ashton-under-Lyne): every half hour from 1055 to 1825 hours, eastbound: 1005 to 1735 hours, westbound;
- 219 (Piccadilly – Higher Openshaw – Ashton-under-Lyne): every half hour from 1040 to 1810 hours, eastbound: 1020 to 1750 hours, westbound.
02 January 2013: normal services resume.
* * *
Services 1 and 2 will operate a Sunday service on Boxing Day and New Year’s Day. Normal operations will apply to Metroshuttles 1, 2 and 3 with early finishes on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve. No Boxing Day and New Year’s Day services will be available on Metroshuttle 300 (Stockport) and 400 (Oldham) services. There will also be no Christmas Day service on all Metroshuttle routes.
* * *
If you have any queries, it may be worth telephoning your local operator as well as using Traveline’s service [0871 200 2233] or the internet to plan your journey with. The telephone numbers are as follows:
- First Greater Manchester: 0845 788 1155 (local rates, Monday – Friday during office hours) or 0161 627 2929;
- Stagecoach in Manchester: 0161 273 3377;
- JPT Travel: 0161 643 4182;
- Stott’s Tours (Oldham) Ltd: 0161 624 4200;
- Bluebird Bus and Coach: 0844 504 0144;
- Checkmate Coaches: 01457 833040;
- Manchester Community Transport: 0161 946 9255.
* * *
If there’s any additions to the above article (say for example, Christmas times affecting the 409 route), feel free to add them to this post.
S.V., 28 November 2012.
* * *
POSTSCRIPT (22 December 2012):
There will be a half hourly service on the 409 from Ashton to Rochdale on Boxing Day. The first 409 to leave Ashton-under-Lyne will be at 0835 with the last one leaving at 1735.
On Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve, a normal weekday service will be in operation on Stott’s 343 route, apart from one minor change. The last bus from Oldham will be 1650 instead of 1750, almost in line with JPT Travel’s Saturday journeys.