Summer weekend park and ride service relaunched
Last year, Checkmate Coaches launched the DS1 and DS2 park and ride services from Uppermill to Dovestones Reservoir. Unfortunately for them, hardly anyone boarded the shuttle buses, despite being free of charge. By the end of its summer season, the Saddleworth Parish Council decided against funding this year’s shuttle.
Or so we thought. Instead, the summer weekend park and ride service will be relaunched this year. This time with a higher profile operator taking over. First Manchester will run this year’s service for nine weeks, starting from this coming Saturday [2nd July 2011]. Throughout the nine weeks, it will provide motorists and local residents with an express shuttle service to Dovestones Reservoir from the Saddleworth Pool car park (which is also a short walk away from the centre of Uppermill). There will also be intermediate stops at Greenfield railway station (handy for The Railway pub) and The Clarence pub.
The Dovestones Hopper service will run on a weekend basis with a full service on August Bank Holiday Monday. Buses will run every half hour from 1055 to 1625 (towards Dovestones Reservoir) with journeys in the opposite direction running from 1110 to 1640. The adult fare is 30p, which is considerably cheaper than the equivalent journey from Greenfield station to The Clarence Hotel aboard the 180, 350 and 354 services. The child fare is 15p – the cheapest any children’s fare has been since the start of bus deregulation. Free travel also applies to concessionary pass holders.
As well as getting a bargain fare, you will also be getting an easy way of exploring Dovestones Reservoir, plus Chew Valley, Yeoman Hey and Greenfield reservoirs. What is there not to like?
Connections with other routes:
- 180 (Westbound, from Dovestones): 13 – 15 minute wait for Greenfield – Manchester bus from The Clarence Hotel or Greenfield railway station;
- 180 (Eastbound, to Dovestones): 10 – 12 minute wait for Dovestones Hopper, alighting Manchester – Greenfield bus at Greenfield railway station or The Clarence Hotel;
- 350 (to Uppermill, Delph and Oldham, from Dovestones): 28 or 58 minute wait (a pint or two at The Clarence Hotel is worth considering prior to boarding your 350 to Uppermill, Dobcross or Delph);
- 350 (from Uppermill, Delph and Oldham, to Dovestones): 1 minute wait at The Clarence Hotel or Greenfield railway station (9 minutes waiting time on Sundays and August Bank Holiday);
- 350 (from Ashton-under-Lyne and Mossley, to Dovestones): 26 minute wait from The Clarence Hotel (a quick pint at The Clarence is a good idea prior to your Saddleworth Hopper arriving);
- 350 (to Ashton-under-Lyne and Mossley, from Dovestones): 8 – 17 minute wait from The Clarence Hotel (quick half);
- 354 (to Uppermill, from Dovestones): 10 – 21 minute wait from The Clarence Hotel (leisurely half or really quick pint);
- 354 (from Uppermill, to Dovestones): 8 – 28 minute wait from The Clarence Hotel (quick half or quickish pint);
- 354 (to Ashton-under-Lyne, Mossley and Roaches, from Dovestones): 10 minute wait from The Clarence Hotel (quick half);
- 354 (from Ashton-under-Lyne, Mossley and Roaches, to Dovestones): 8 – 10 minute wait from The Clarence Hotel (again, a quick half);
- Train (from Manchester Victoria, to Dovestones): 8 – 23 minute wait from Greenfield railway station (leisurely half of Bombardier at The Railway should do the trick between train and bus);
- Train (to Manchester Victoria, from Dovestones): 4 – 13 minute wait from Greenfield railway station (ditto the above recommendation with the Bombardier though faster);
- Train (from Huddersfield, to Dovestones): 1 – 31 minute wait from Greenfield railway station (a pint of Copper Dragon at The Railway pub nearby is recommended if you choose to wait 31 minutes for your Dovestones Hopper);
- Train (to Huddersfield, from Dovestones): 7 – 16 minute wait from Greenfield railway station (a quick half at The Railway should be enough).
S.V., 28 June 2011